Sunday, May 6, 2007

One Small Step...

...out of Tuition Hell, One Giant Leap for TheFirstChild.

I'd thought I'd leave my post for this weekend at that, but since so many of you love to take pictures, I wanted to mention an important lesson I learned yesterday at graduation. When the graduates were all lined up and marching to the outdoor stage, I was squished among the crowd trying to get a picture of my graduate. That's always so difficult because they are on the move, people step in front of you, etc. After I snapped a pic of the TheFirstChild as he walked past me, I happened to glance at his father, who was on the opposite side of the procession. I had the camera on the wrong person. And by the time that realization hit me, it was too late. The expression of pride that appears on a father's face when he spots his child in the crowd, is one that should be captured. It would have been a much more valuable picture than the blurry image I caught of TheFirstChild walking by. There are so many opportunities to take pictures of the person who is the center of the activity, but often, because we are so focused on that person, we miss the reactions of the people around them. It's a lesson I hope to remember for future events.

XOXO,
Anna

8 comments:

rohanknitter said...

That is a very insightful photography suggestion. I'll have to try and keep that in mine. Congratulations on your new college graduate!!!!
(I am so not looking forward to that tuition thing!)

rohanknitter said...

"Keep that in mine"??
Make that, "keep that in mind."

meggie said...

Congratulations to your Graduate.
And you, & proud Dad need to take a bow too, for raising him so well.

Jade said...

Congratulations! You must be so proud :-)

jemimah b. said...

hey anna. thanks so much for the great comment. yes i do love it here in germany. i get out and go as much as possible. i have a little dog too and its so nice not to have to leave him at home all the time. i love your blog. i am a super beginner knitter. i made scarfs for all the girls last year for christmas but thats about it. well congrats on the graduate. i know you are so proud...as you should be.

Shropshire Girl said...

That it one very handsome eye!! Someone should have taken a photo of you too, I bet you felt exactly the same as your hubby, as you deserve to.
Sandra. x.

Anonymous said...

Yup, after a couple of wedding ceremonies where all I saw was the backs of people's heads, instead of the actual marriage, I got tired of the digital photo overload. So I never take photos now until after ceremonies and events.

Anonymous said...

This is a very wise observation. I miss so much of "life" trying to get that perfect photo...

XO