Saturday, July 7, 2007

Random, Random

The very fun and interesting Meggie has tagged me to do the random posts. Like Meggie, I've already done a random post which I turned into a list of random UFOs. This time, the topic works out, 'cause I seem to only have a bunch of randomness to talk about!

1. I hope everyone in the U.S. has a wonderful 4th of July. We had a great time with family and friends at a cookout. We played basketball, volleyball, and cornhole. And cooked and ate lots.
2. I know it's been raining like crazy in other parts of the country/world, but here in the midwest, it's dry, dry, dry. My flowers are very happy that I have a hose.3. Yesterday, Daisy Cottage said "It's Friday already! Now, how did that happen?" Forget Friday. It's JULY already! HOW did THAT happen??? (Furthermore, wasn't it just yesterday that we were planning big parties for the turn of the century??? How did 2007 happen???)

4. When we moved back to Indiana from Minnesota, my boys lived with my sister for a month so they could get going in their new school while we attended to move details. Somehow, she managed to teach them to take their shoes off at the door. What a great gift that was! After we got settled, I painted a big bucket for everyone to dump their shoes in.5. I love it when my little big boys are home. TheSecondChild is home for the July 4th break. He brought lots of laundry with him. When he dumped it on the laundry room floor he said "Look Mom! Aren't you proud of me -- I even brought my bedding!" Yes, dear, I'm very proud that you've remembered that sheets need washing too!6. Why is it that in art and needlework the thistle is so beautiful, but in our gardens, it's a weed? By the time I saw this little weed, it was waist high, so I decided to leave it to see how pretty the blooms are. I can't decide quite how long to let it go -- though I think the end is near.7. I've had a great time these past few days being off work. Just lazing around -- a little cooking, sewing, reading -- all the things I love to do. I'd like to figure out how to have the whole summer off. Then maybe I could add a little cleaning/organizing to the list. The sewing room organization appears to be stalled at the moment!8. I think I'll follow Meggie's lead on number 8. I do enjoy this blogging community. "Meeting" so many people from all around the world. I just love the opportunity it provides to see how much alike, yet different we all are. And I think of my Grandma who probably never even went anywhere on an airplane. How much fun she would have had to be able to "talk" to women so far away. We're SO very lucky!

Now. Hmmm. Tagging is the hardest part for me and I'm not managing to come up with 8 more people to tag. I think most everyone I know has done this already. So, I'll use the standard lame line...if you haven't posted random things yet, or for that matter, if you want to do it again, then consider yourself tagged!

XOXO,
Anna

12 comments:

meggie said...

Fabulously well done! Very interesting post.Thankyou for playing along! Love that thistle.. dont let it seed, you know what they say, "One year's seeding, Seven years weeding"!

Ragged Roses said...

I'm going to get me a shoe bucket!!! I agree with you on the thistle and how did we get to July so quickly?
Kim x

Yummers! said...

My girls still bring their laundry home now and then. I don't know what is so special about using my washing machine when they have their own. Just a habit I quess. It's not like I'm doing their wash for them.
Secretly... I love it!
Joni

Anonymous said...

Lots of fun, Anna!

I love the shoe bucket--it's gorgeous. We are also in the habit of removing shoes at the door, but ours go onto a rack and it's not nearly as pretty--often they are mud-caked or grassy. The mudroom gets vacuumed most often...

I love the blogging community, too!

XO,
Jill

Pam said...

I'm amazed that you grow Busy Lizzies in a dry climate! Truly gardeners are a persistent breed... I've never had a thistle in my garden, by the way, and I live in Scotland, so you'd think I would. In fact, I've never really seen - or at any rate noticed - thistles growing as garden weeds. In the countryside, yes.

But yes, don't let it seed.

I too love the blogging community. My problem is that I keep finding new and interesting blogs to read. Such fun, but so time-consuming!

By the way: how to get all summer off - be a teacher? Don't want to gloat, but...

Of course the rest of the year can be quite hard work. But right now it seems worth it.

tricia said...

I love that shoe bucket! So cute, I think I need one. I will add it to my list:)

Lena said...

I've really enjoyed reading this post.
I think about my grandmother and what she would have thought of blogging too. I know she would have loved seeing all of the handwork and the beautiful gardens that are shared.
I'd never thought about thistle in that way before, but you're right! I love the image in other ways, but in the garden, it outwears it's welcome pretty quickly.
Take care Anna.

Maggie said...

Great post !!! I could relate to so much of this post....children, Grandmothers, gardens and so on. Your shoe bucket is amazing. I think I should like to make one for my grandchildrens shoes so that I don't trip over them in the entrace.

Locket Pocket said...

Hi Anna - I LOVE that shoe bucket! We are just in the process of decorating our hall and have been wondering what to do for a shoe rack - maybe this is the answer for us too - only I'm not a talented painter like you!

Amanda Jean said...

love your shoe bucket!

Anonymous said...

That shoe bucket is to die for. I swear it's adorable.

Anonymous said...

I love the shoe bucket - great idea! Our house always seems to have shoes from one end to the other, usually where I will trip over them.