Monday, July 16, 2007

It's Monday Already.

Boy. The start to another week. I feel like I'm not even finished with last week. We had a very quiet weekend. Not much exciting going on. I managed a teeny bit of sewing and some cleaning. Aside from birthday cake, the highlight was visiting MeMum and catching up on Big Love. I'm addicted and it provides a nice diversion while WE (you are waiting aren't you?) wait on Sawyer's return.

So, when there are no new tidbits of craftiness, you either get an old project or recipe. Flip a coin? Um...it's tails -- recipe. This is my favorite baked gift. (I may have said that about those Orange Cranberry Cookies, 'cause I love to give them too, but really, this is my favorite gift of baked love.) Several of the kids friends love it too, so when they all come home from school, if I know they'll be around, I'll make it for them. But, my biggest fan is BigDaddy. The recipe makes 2 loaves, so I usually have plenty to take to him too.

BigDaddy's Favorite Poppy Seed Bread

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. each, vanilla, almond, and butter extract

Combine all the dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add all the wet ingredients and mix well. (I just use a wooden spoon, rather than a mixer.) Bake in 2 large greased loaf pans at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Cool on wire racks for approximately 10 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and place on wire rack. Poke holes in bread while it's still warm and pour glaze over top of each loaf.

Glaze:
2 Tbsp. frozen orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. each, vanilla, almond, and butter extractThe extracts in this recipe really give it a wonderful flavor. I like to wrap these loaves individually in parchment paper, tie them with string, and add a cute homemade tag.

And while we're hungry... wouldn't this make a great dinner -- butter roasted chicken, twice baked potatoes , and pie? Yum - O - Yum!!! Go ahead -- you can start your diet next week!

Behave yourselves....
XOXO,
Anna

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, looks good! My hubby is a fan of poppy seed bread so I will have to try this one!

Vallen said...

Poppy seed bread - yum I love poppy seed anything. Well, not heroin.
Say that does sound like a lovly meal and when did yousay dinner was beng served?

picperfic said...

butter extract? hmmm....these sound delicious and sticky and yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

SadieandLance said...

Is it too late to ask you to save me a piece of that poppy seed bread? Please? Pretty please? Looks so good!

Ragged Roses said...

There's nothing boring about giving us recipes - thank you I always love your recipes and this one looks great, nice and moist (Am I being silly, but what is butter extract?)
Kim x

dutchcomfort said...

Well, now that you love cooking so much you can talk about it again. I've tagged you also if you would like to join in.

Yummers! said...

Your read looks soooo good. I have no self-control and don't dare have things like that in the house. I love carbs.

I am a BIG LOVE fan! I missed it last night , but can pick it up today on HBO on-demand. I just want to smack Nikki. Boy, I couldn't share a husband.
Joni

Anina said...

Ooh, this looks SO good. I love baking and will really have to restrain myself on this one, since I'm really trying to watch what I eat for a couple of weeks.

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Yummy
Suzie Sews

meggie said...

That looks sooo yummy!

Jade said...

That poppy seed bread looks so yummy! If only someone can invent scratch, sniff and taste for the internet...wouldn't it be great! And your dinner suggestion, the geezer would call it "heart attack on a plate", which we normally indulge in during winter...oh hey, its winter right now!

Heather said...

I have a file with recipes to try and this one is going in. Thanks.
Heather

KBG said...

I love, love Big Love. Unfortunately can't watch it overseas, so I try to stay out of the line of gossip about it. I've recently converted my hubby, so I think a re-watching of the entire first season is in order...

Sarah said...

Yum-my! Those look so good!

Heather said...

Thanks for the tip about the mint.

Heather