Sunday, January 28, 2007

My First Knitting Bag

I was hoping to have the project I'm currently knitting ready to post, but I didn't get it done this weekend. We had a two-day trip to Nashville to check on the younger child. We love visiting -- Nashville is such a fun city. I don't really know where the good fabric haunts are though (suggestions more than welcome -- I'll be going back in May to pick sontwo up.) I talked TheManoftheHouse into briefly stopping in at Stitcher's Garden in Franklin. It's a fun shop to visit -- I think you could probably find most any fabric you wanted (well, except the ones I was looking for). They have tons of fabric, but man, is it cluttered. Some of my quilty peeps refuse to go to shops like that -- it's too confusing for them.

Anyhoo, in spite of a TWO hour traffic jam in Louisville, during which time I was knitting, I didn't get my little project done. So, instead, I thought I'd share with you, the dorky vintage knitting bag I made when I was a
kid.















I learned to knit when I was 8 or 9. I can remember sitting with a group of kids making this bag,
but I can't remember if it was in brownies, an after school program, or what. It's a classic recycling project, but before recycling was common -- except in California, which is where we lived at the time. We took clorox bottles and cut them up. Then the instructor had us punch holes around all the pieces. I remember that part made my hands sore. We joined the pieces with single crochet and then hand stitched a zipper in. Considering how many moves and apparently dogs (note the dog teeth marks in the side) my bag has been through, I think the poor thing looks pretty good. TheEmptyNestChild seems to like it too.







Well, I'm off on another work trip tomorrow. Back on Wednesday.
XOXO,
Anna

No comments: